Yes, it is possible to self-learn SEO. And yes, it isn’t that tough either.
However, it isn’t as easy building a high-traffic website or blog. That will take a LOT more skill, experience and savviness.
Ok, now for the big secret to a high traffic website:
Your website has got to meet ALL the criteria below:
- The website should provide sufficient value – if you don’t have anything of value to offer, figure out something else to do; you’d be wasting your time and that of the few visitors who land on your site, spare everyone the trouble! Think of what value you can offer, then only start.
- It should ideally be targeted to a very very specific niche set of people – you can’t be everything to everyone, focus on a subset of people who would most benefit from what you have to offer; forget about wanting to be like your “big competitor”, first try being better than your “smaller and more focused competitors”
- Consistently adding value (consistency is key) – show commitment to your audience that you’re always on top of things. This WILL lead to:
- Higher visitor engagement which will lead to
- Repeat visitors (loyalty) which will lead to
- More people talking about you (links) which will lead to
- Increased referral traffic from links and social shares which will lead to
- Better SEO
And all of the above will lead to a high traffic website that gets traffic from search engines, referrals, and social shares.
“That’s all good, but I can’t get traffic without SEO when I’m starting out. I need SEO.”